With eight moving parts, it’s little wonder that the knee, which must carry our full weight, suffers frequent injury. Post-injury arthritis is also quite common. Osteoarthritis causes pain, inflammation, joint degeneration and deterioration, and is the primary reason for total knee replacement.
At Orthopedic Specialists of SW Florida, our practice philosophy is to treat early with noninvasive, conservative treatments for degenerative conditions. Our goal is to reduce pain and improve function.
Knee pain occurs in three cases: traumatic injury to bone, ligaments and cartilage, arthritis, and overuse tendinitis, arthritis and bursitis. Knee pain is often accompanied by difficulties with walking such as moving up and down stairs, limping, stiffness, locked knee, redness and swelling, and the inability to bend or extend the knee.
Common knee problems:
- Traumatic Fractures
- Dislocation of the knee cap
- Ligament tears
- Torn meniscus
- Runner’s Knee or IT Band Syndrome
- Camilo Guzman, MD received fellowship training at The Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, the home of some of the world’s most distinguished orthopedic surgeons who provide state-of-the-art orthopedic treatment for both children and adults.
- Fletcher A. Reynolds, MD is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon, dual-trained in sports medicine and joint replacement at the Insall Scott Kelly Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine at St. Francis Hospital, nationally renowned for their state of the art treatments for orthopedic and sports-related problems.
- Charles P. Springer, MD is fellowship-trained in sports medicine and joint reconstruction of the shoulder, hip, and knee. He is a founding member of our Sports Medicine and Joint Replacement Center of Excellence. His fellowship training was at the Jewell Orthopedic Clinic, home of world-renowned orthopedic care.
- W. Zachary Stone, MD Dr. Stone was born in Texas and grew up in Fort Myers, FL. He then attended the University of Florida in Gainesville where he completed medical school and a residency in orthopedic surgery. Following residency, Dr. Stone remained at the University of Florida to complete a fellowship in adult reconstructive surgery. During fellowship, he had additional training in direct anterior total hip replacement, outpatient hip and knee replacement, complex primary, and revision total joint arthroplasty.
- Francesca Swartz, DO completed her Sports Medicine Fellowship with Dr. Kevin Plancher in Cos Cob, CT and Manhattan, NY. She worked with the United Football League in Hartford, CT and with the teams of Manhattanville College in Rye, NY.
We don’t believe in a ‘one size fits all’ approach; each patient gets a unique treatment plan designed for their needs.Book Today
"Dr. Nemitz is the best orthopedic surgeon in town"
"Very pleased with my first appointment with Dr. Segal."
"Would recommend them to anyone."
Knee replacement surgery is very successful with low complication rates. It offers a vast improvement in a patient’s quality of life. This surgery is life-enhancing, allowing patients a return to their lives. It relieves almost all of the pain for 90% of patients.
Our passionate and dedicated knee and sports medicine specialists will treat you with care, respect, and dignity. At Orthopedic Specialists of SW Florida, we help patients maximize function and minimize disability. Our physical therapists will guide your rehabilitation safely and effectively after surgery.