We are a renowned Southwest Florida-based medical practice specializing in comprehensive spinal care. We specialize in non-operative and operative treatment of spinal conditions. Our spine surgeons are all fellowship trained and have experience in dealing with the full spectrum of spinal disorders. Spine and other orthopedic conditions frequently overlap. Being one of the most comprehensive musculoskeletal centers in the region allows our team to collaborate with other orthopedic specialists to provide our patients with a holistic and seamless treatment experience. We practice evidence based medicine, use cutting-edge technology and employ minimally-invasive techniques to provide our patients with exceptional care.
- Herniated disc– A herniated disc occurs when a disc in the spine is injured or wears down, and bulges into the spinal canal. Obesity and a history of smoking increase the risk of bulging discs. The damaged disc may be removed in a procedure called a discectomy.
- Sciatica – Sciatica is caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve in the low back, due to spinal stenosis, degenerative disease, and when a muscle deep in the buttocks pinches the nerve.
- Spinal stenosis– Spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal, which compresses the spinal cord and nerves. Compression results in myelopathy, a condition that causes gait disturbances, and muscle spasticity, weakness and numbness. It is usually caused by osteoarthritis of the spine, a slowly progressive degeneration. The most common procedure to decompress the spine is a laminectomy.
- Spinal Compression Fractures – Osteoporotic fractures of the spine and hip are due to Osteoporosis, a disease that causes weak, brittle, fragile bones that are easily broken. Medications for pain and to treat bone density are employed, along with a back brace. Chronic pain may require surgery.
- Degenerative disc disease – This is a natural breakdown of the discs between the vertebrae due to trauma, genetics and previous surgery. It causes debilitating pain and muscle spasms, and in the worst case drastically affects quality of life. In that case, spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery may provide relief.
- Neck Pain (Cervical Spine) – Neck pain is often due to degenerative or aging conditions of the spine, that put pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
- Radiculopathy - Radiculopathy is caused by a pinched or compressed nerve. There are three types of radiculopathy, named for the region where the nerve is being pinched; cervical, thoracic, and lumbar radiculopathy.
We don’t believe in a ‘one size fits all’ approach; each patient gets a unique treatment plan designed for their needs.Book Today
Your spine expert at Orthopedic Specialists of SW Florida will review your medical history, conduct a physical exam, and order imaging studies such as X-Rays for bone fractures and arthritis, and MRIs for soft tissue injuries.
Your spine specialist will evaluate your symptoms, physical findings, imaging studies, and lab tests to make a diagnosis. You will be provided with an explanation of your pain, and create a personalized program for your success.
Our Spine Specialists
- Dr. Paul D. Fuchs, DO is a surgical spine specialist. He was fellowship-trained at Stanford University and is the co-founder of our Spine Center. His specialty is minimally invasive spine surgery.
- Dr. Allen C. Tafel, MD is our non-surgical spine specialist. He is a board-certified specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R). Dr. Tafel is an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with chronic pain and disability caused by injury, illness or conditions involving any organ system.
- Dr. Dale Segal, MD is a fellowship trained spine surgeon specializing in minimally invasive and complex spine surgery. He completed a fellowship at Harvard University- Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham & Women’s Hospital.